Keywords: real-time interpretation, cabin interpretation, parallel interpretation, simultaneous interpretation
What is cabin interpretation ?
Cabin interpretation is a real-time word-of-mouth interpretation method. Interpreted contents are delivered by the interpreters to the audience via a technical audio transmission system. This method of interpreting works excellent in United Nations meetings. Delegates from all over the world can listen to a speech in their own language at real time thanks to a large team of interpreters behind the scene.
Cabin interpreting activities in Vietnam
Vietnam today is experiencing a growing integration and enhanced global position, which requires capable cabin interpreters to adapt to practical needs. Most interpreters have excellent language adaptability and many of them are fluent in 4-5 international languages.
Professional interpreters should meet all cabin interpretation needs including:
- Seminars (medical, technical, legal, banking, insurance, financial areas, …)
- Businesses’ annual conferences
- Political events such as Apec, Asean, FTA, CPTPP, etc.
Interpreters with professional skills
Interpreting is a extremely skillful profession that requires very high degree of training and practice. To achieve a professional level, an interpreter needs to acquire many skills which an ordinary interpreter may not have or has not yet fully mastered. The following five criteria help define the competence of an interpreter:
- Language skills: The ability to remember and have in-depth understanding of enormous terminologies is a prerequisite requirement. Interpreters need to show a flexible command in language to produce a high-quality interpreting session.
- Listening and speaking skills: actively listening, memorizing and conveying the accurate message almost immediately in the target language. Therefore, interpreters need to have sharp ears, quick minds and the ability to speak clearly.
- Ethics behaviors: Being exposed directly to a lot of sensitive information means confidentiality is a requirement. Moreover, interpreters must be impartial and work diligently.
- Cultural knowledge: Communication in another language means that you must also instill the cultural values of the speakers and respect the culture of the audience.
- Expertise: Interpreters must understand that cabin interpretation is not usually intended for casual conversations. The attendees are all experts and are listening to new issues.